Over 5,000 dead after earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
The death toll continues to rise after a deadly series of earthquakes in Turkey and Syria.
Rescue efforts are ongoing, so far 5,100 people are confirmed dead and that number is expected to continue to rise.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says that ten provinces will be under a state of emergency for three months. Erdoğan said this is the worst disaster to hit the country since 1939.
The weather conditions in the disaster zone was stormy on Monday but, better weather is in the forecast over the next few days.
The earthquakes caused over 2,000 buildings to collapse.
The first earthquake measured 7.8 and there were aftershocks including a 6.7 magnitude earthquake and a 7.5 magnitude earthquake.
The original earthquake struck 26 km east of Nurdağı, Turkey at a depth of 17.9 km.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was just one of many world leaders offering assistance. Trudeau said in a statement "Canada stands ready to provide assistance."
The Canadian Red Cross Red Crescent is working to deliver emergency relief and to get help to those impacted by the earthquakes as soon as possible. Anyone wishing to help can donate here.