Top 10 Weather Stories of 2019
Each year Environment and Climate Change Canada rounds up the top ten weather events from the past year.
From flooding to cold temperatures, to wildfires, Canada experienced it all this year.
Based on preliminary estimates collected by the Insurance Bureau of Canada, there were 12 major catastrophic events, each with losses above $25 million. For the eleventh year in a row, the Canadian insurance sector faced billion-dollar losses due to weather-related extremes.
Here are the top 10:
1. Another record-setting Ottawa River flood
2. Active hurricane season as predicted
4. A brutal Febrrruary in Canada
5. Record heat continues in Arctic
6. On the Prairies…Too dry early, too wet later
7. Weather witch stole Halloween
9. Saint John River floods again
External links to Environment and Climate Change Canada