top of page
  • Writer's pictureKyle Sooley-Brookings

Another active Atlantic hurricane season expected

With hurricane season just a few days away, NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center has released its outlook for the upcoming season.

Once again this year, an above-normal Atlantic hurricane season is expected. There is a 60 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 30 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season.

Even though an above-average year is expected, it is not anticipated to be as active as the historic level in 2020.

For this year the agency is predicting between 13 to 20 named storms, of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes, including 3 to 5 major hurricanes.

El Nino Southern Oscillation conditions are currently in the neutral phase, with the possibility of the return of La Nina later in the hurricane season. Scientists at NOAA also continue to study how climate change is impacting the strength and frequency of tropical cyclones.

The Atlantic hurricane season extends from June 1 through November 30. You can check out the latest storm activity on our Hurricane page.


bottom of page